Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Invisible changes

 Michael is gone skiing and Selkie is stuck with me and unlimited fox tails waiting to enter her body almost no matter where we go here on the land. Mostly I am walking her on the road now but did go on a wander to get these shots. (No matter how short you mow the foxtails they will still put up a seed head.) She got a bath yesterday and crude scissors cut before Michael left as the temps are in the high 90s now. I'm glad she's patient with me. I'm not a good ball thrower even in the best of times.
 The time of pollination continues. Bees are on the sunflowers and poppies in these shots. I also have one below of them clustering at my hummingbird feeder (organic sugar and good water.) I wrote to the man who keeps bees on our land to ask him what to do but I'm taking down the feeder. Even though they love the sugar water it distracts them from their duties...there is accessible water here on the land and their sources of energy need to be the traditional ones. It was a selfish thing to get the hummers attracted to being right by my kitchen window--two feet from where I'm sitting. I relinquish it once this current syrup is sipped.
 I may have to relinquish a lot. It is too soon to tell. I had a complication with a simple procedure and it's hurt my lungs and possibly my heart. This week I am taking things very, very slowly and waiting for healing to take place. It was a very surprising thing-- I had the complication all through that last post and could even have died in the midst of our wonderful Veggie Voyage but Grace was there for me. Now all there is is to support my body in its process. Dear life doesn't mean to be harsh. It just plays with the elements it is given.
 And, cycles move slowly forward. It's only May but the tomatoes have been coaxed to believe they are in July so an earlier trip to the market will benefit all of us but mostly our Riparia farmer, Bruce, who earns every advantage by his hard unrelenting work on the land. The land that I love so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home